Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Righteous anger leads to quick disinterest.

So I was all set to break out the assorted high-horse, pulpit, and soapbox cliches and get all angry about the redeath of punk, via the Dead Schembechlers, who are currently featured afront espn.com after months of deadspin coverage. Of course punk is dead, this is not in question, I planned to begin, and even had some clever links to support it. But it turned out that punk was just too dead for me to get properly angry or verbose, even about such an obvious disaster (see how long you can last before you lunge for mute). Their lead singer's named after the real thing. They know how to mimic old album covers and use Bollocksesque fonts. And, oh yeah, they're fucking obsessed with college football.
But, yeah, try as I might to be relevant, I couldn't help but come off as some asshole defending an ancient and tattered standard. So I'll just post a video mocking that guy, and decide to root for Michigan. Punk - beyond dead since probably the 1890s.

2 Comments:

Blogger (Dan) said...

Now that I remember I aborted another post some weeks ago when Green Day and U2 played at the Saints' opener. I guess I'm just not as angry as I used to be.

Wed Nov 15, 05:22:00 PM EST  
Blogger Craig said...

Eh, who has the strength to be angry?

It goes without saying that these latter day punks don't know shit about what punk was, and I mean that in the exact opposite way that most of these dipshits say it.

Punk was, mostly, about self-destruction and nihilism. I am 98% certain that Jello Biafra is a gigantic douche, and I can't remember why, but I had a good reason. Sid wasn't romantic, he was a pathetic junkie with a mean streak. Richard Hell was a depressive loner with little to say besides the standard "fuck the world" punk bullshit. How many bands actually rose out of this mess? Only a few (and the fact that they're some of the best bands of all time is what gives punk this mystique that it doesn't deserve) - the Talking Heads, the Clash, Joy Division...I'm sure you can fill in the rest. Hell, even Lester fucking killed himself, the idiot, and he was well aware of the limitations and self-destructiveness of the punks.

Wed Nov 15, 09:14:00 PM EST  

Post a Comment

<< Home